Mail Ballot Voting

    Mail Ballot Voting

    Voters in the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen are eligible to vote using a mail ballot.

    To receive a mail ballot package you must first submit a Mail Ballot Application and two (2) pieces of identification to the Regional District office. It is the responsibility of the elector to ensure there is sufficient time to receive and submit the Mail Ballot Application form to the Regional District office in order to receive a voting package prior to October 13, 2022.

    Application to Vote by Mail

    If there is no challenge to registering you as an eligible elector, your name will be placed on a list to receive a mail ballot package. The mail ballot package contains instructions, a ballot and the necessary return envelopes that will protect the secrecy of your vote.

    Non-Resident Property Electors must also complete Non-Resident Property Elector Application  and Non-Resident Property Elector Consent forms to accompany the mail ballot application.

    In order for your ballot to be counted in the election, it is your responsibility to return the mail ballot package to the Regional District Office no later than 4:30 pm on October 14, 2022, or by 8:00 pm on General Voting day, Saturday, October 15, 2022 at the polling station for the Electoral Area in which you are voting.

Registering as an Elector

    Qualifications for registering as an Elector

    There are two categories of electors for voting in local government elections: Resident Electors (you live in the community) and Non-Resident Property Electors (you own property in the community but live elsewhere).

    The RDOS does not require registration with the Provincial Voters List. All electors must register at the time of voting.

    Resident Elector

    You are qualified to register as a Resident Elector if you:

    • are 18 years or older
    • are a Canadian citizen
    • have resided in British Columbia for six months
    • are a resident of the Electoral Area

    Non-Resident Property Elector

    You are qualified to register as a Non-Resident Property Elector if you:

    • are 18 years or older
    • are a Canadian citizen
    • have resided in British Columbia for six months prior to voting day
    • have owned and held registered title to property within the boundaries of the local community for 30 days prior to voting day
    • do not qualify as a resident elector

    A Non-Resident Property Elector may register in relation to one piece of property only and must complete the Non-Resident Property Elector declaration. If more than one person owns the property, only one owner may register and that person must have the written consent of a majority of the other owners (original signatures only). No corporation is entitled to vote.

    Non-Resident Property Elector Application Form
    Non-Resident Property Elector Consent Form

    See the Non-Resident Property Elector FAQ for more information.

    Identity Documents

    When registering, you must provide two documents proving your identity and residence. One of the documents must have your signature.

    The following are examples of valid identity documents:

    • BC driver’s licence
    • BC ID card
    • Photo or non-photo BC Services Card / Care Card
    • Status Card issued by Indigenous Services Canada
    • Request for Continued Assistance form SDES8
    • Social Insurance Card (Canada)
    • Citizenship Card (Canada)\Real property tax notice
    • Credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution
    • Utility bill
    • Car insurance papers
    • Property tax notice
    • Passport
    • Birth certificate
    • Firearms license
    • Nexus card

    A combined British Columbia Driver’s Licence and Services Card is considered one document. A second document is still required.

Voting FAQs

    I live on Reserve – can I vote?

    Yes. Eligible Indigenous and non-Indigenous electors living on Reserve are entitled to vote in local government elections. Where you vote will depend on whether the lands you live upon are included within a municipal or electoral area boundary. Please see the Voters Guide for Electors Living on Reserve to determine where you can vote.

    Are landed immigrants eligible to vote?

    No. You must be a Canadian citizen to vote.

    What does 'disqualified from voting' mean?

    You may not vote in a British Columbia local government election if you have been convicted of an indictable offence and are in custody or have been found guilty of an election offence.

    What if I need assistance while voting?

    If you are able to make it to the voting place, but are unable to go inside the building, you may request Curbside Voting – whereby an election official will bring a ballot to your vehicle.

    If you are unable to mark your own ballot, you may ask for help from an Election Official, friend or relative. A declaration for a Person Assisting an Elector to Mark a Ballot will be required for this.

    If you require a translator to interpret for you, a declaration for a Translator may be requested.

    Where can I view interactive maps of the Electoral Areas?

    Please visit and click on Parcel Viewer. You must agree to the terms and conditions by clicking the small button on the right-hand side and then clicking ok on the left side. Using the Tools on the left side and the Layer List on the right side along with the zoom and pan functions, viewers may get detail right down to the individual parcel level, which provides addresses and other helpful information.


    All questions should be submitted to